Saturday 22 November 2008

'SOMALIFIELDS' POETS IN TOXTETH

5 Somali poets from Liverpool 8 have published a booklet of their recent work.They worked with Def Jam poetry group and Somali poet Gaarriye.The poems sound like Somali,Arabic and local dialect.Here are 2 poems.

ZAK
'I express myself through poetry:it enables me to release tension and stress.All in all it's a form of escapism.'

Poetry for me is more than therapy
It's part of me
Internally I feel it flowing
Growing and growing
Inside it bides
Waiting patiently
Sitting dormant
I keep it cornered and caged
Deep within
Fearing it's impact
On innocent minds
They're not ready
Or maybe I am not?
Perhaps I fear...
Fear what?
Will they like it?
Don't think that way
But what they say
Really matters
Mind state in tatters
Then independently it pours
From my mouth
A mind of it's own
Now it's in control
Enslaved by my own rhymes
Anger enters me
Could it be?
I envy my own poetry?...


What is war?
To kill another brother
But what for
Because he represents another flag
That differs from mine
Where is the thin line
And when does one step over it
To cause war
Is it land that he wants more
Then I'll gladly share with him
But no more war
No more hurt
No more hate
What is more great?
Peace or totalitarian state
If we did go to war
Warlords would be my enemy
Their deaths would be my remedy
So take my hand brother
Together we can climb this mountain
Steadily

No comments: