Tuesday 30 September 2008

SOME POEMS BY TOXTETH BORN N. SALEH HAMED

Family
I have dark secrets that I cannot tell.
As a young child I learned life was hell.
My mother taught me nought,of things familial,
So I hid my pain deeply,and my feelings well.

Then slowly the pain and the hell were banished.
Now that hidden pain,has faded,has vanished.
For you,mother of my children,with time,have
Taught me the beauty of all things familial.

No man was ever given such wonders in life,
As I myself,have been given from you.
For from you,our children,and grandchildren.
I have learned that familial love is real,is true.

Family days of sunshine,family days of rain,
Are golden memories,that I recall happily,
Smiles,and giggles,and laughter,and pain.
The joy of life comes to me,from you my family.

It humbles me,and amazes me to know you care,
And that I am given so much for so little in return.
In these my twilight years,I no longer count my tears.
I look back joyfully,and count my many blessings.

So mother of my children,friend all of my life,
Witness to the loneliness of my childhood days,
And to those dark secrets,that I cannot bear to tell.
Thank you for your boundless love,is what I really want to say!


Before Time Existed

Once upon a time
There were no clocks.
No "morning,noon or night".
Only "darkness following light".
Buds,then blooms,then fruition.
Birth and life,then death---
Then men! Suddenly,became aware!
And "thus" began to control,
By the creation of "power games"
Played by avaricious man.
Natures "cruellist--animal".
That antagaonistic belligerent beast.
That species,of evil deeds.
Which now,races helter-skelter
Towards "times" very destruction.
With time "controlled"
No time for love!
Time "destroyed"
No time for peace!
Time on hold
As time for war!
I question this,
Is time,for "sure?"

Old Man's Time

There was a time when all people
Around and about me,were older.
Now here,in this time,most people
Around and about me,are younger.

But back then,in younger times.
I myself,felt I was much wiser,
And far more knowledgable
Than all the age'd around and about me.

And in this time,when most people
Around and about me are younger.
I feel that in this place,in time.
I look upon the young,as sage less!

They have no knowledge,or wisdom,
Their time is spent in aimlessness.
In the pursuit of imagery without substance,
Chasing,consuming,wasting,losing.

Or am I wrong,am I filled with envy?
Because I cannot dance with wild abandon.
Is the music I hear,like that of my youth?
Am I better than they,or has my day ended?

Is this a natural process,this raging?
This anger at youth,this fear of ageing?
Can I not fade into time,with grace?
Leaving for youth,it's youthful time,and space!

No comments: